10 Beauty Dos and Don’ts
1. DO drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. I know you hear this a million times but trust me, it works wonders. I’m not a water drinker myself, so my skin got affected by it. My skin sometimes look dull and old. And I’m only 20 years old. It is never too late to start taking care of yourself. Drinking water increases energy, helps with weight loss, maintains regularity, boosts immune system, helps with cramps and improves skin complexion. Start with 1 bottle/glass of water and you will soon realize you are drinking up to 8 glasses of water everyday.
2. DON’T forget to remove your makeup. No matter how tired or lazy you are, take that beautiful makeup off. I get it, sometimes you forget or you just look too beautiful to want to clear that pretty face of yours. I use either epielle Argan Oil Cleansing Tissues (Big Lots), D’Nature New York Rose Toner (Coral Square Mall or Sawgrass Mall), eye makeup remover liquid (gift), and Neutrogena oil-free eye makeup remover (Walmart, Publix, & etc). After I do that, I wash my face with Oil-Free Acne Wash: pink grapefruit foaming scrub Neutrogena (Walmart). But if you are looking to save money then go back to the basics. Use water and soap. It is best to use cold water to tighten up your cuticles and pores. Cold water can “seal” the pores in the skin and scalp too, preventing dirt from getting in. Hot water has the tendency to dry out our skin, try to use warm water. It is important for your skin to breathe.
3. DO take different lipsticks with you every time you travel. A different lip color can totally change your entire look and feel. Sometimes, mascara, eyebrows, and a good lipstick is all you need! My favorite chapstick is Burt’s Bees Strawberry Moisturizing Lip Balm (Publix, Walgreen, & etc). LipLand by Amrezy is heaven. I have the Liquid Lipstick “Empire” which is the perfect shade of brown for me. If you are going for a “natural” fresh look than Empire is definitely the one for you. Even though its matte, it doesn’t dry out your lips. Is it time to feel sexy yet? Red lipsticks is perfect for that sultry, sexy vibe. Try the Kat Von D “Damned” Liquid Matte Lipstick, Colorkillmakeup “Ruby Bling”, Colorkillmakeup “Beep Me” and Colorkillmakeup “Bond Babe” lipsticks. In my opinion, those are amazing shades of red for everyone. Especially for color skin girls. But, if you are not really into lipsticks then try the Sonia Kashuk “Plum Prune 14” lipliner. I’m not really into lip glosses but my go to glosses are LA-LA and CAN-CAN from lucieandpompette cosmetic.
4. DON’T forget to apply sunscreen on your face everyday. Our faces are exposed to the sun daily, we don’t have to be on the beach to be exposed to sun ray. It is important to use sunscreen aka sunblock because it protects you from harmful radiation from the sun, reduces your risk for skin cancer, wrinkles, and sunburns. Sunscreen is important for all skin types! I use the Maybelline New York Dream BB Fresh in replacement of an actual sunscreen. It works the same and is a 8-in-1 Beauty Balm Skin Perfector. Also, the BB Cream contains SPF 30, that nearly blocks 97%. Most sunscreens have moisturizing base, so you can skip applying “regular” moisturizer during the day. However, if you are dry, look for a daytime moisturizer with SPF that is formulated for dry skin.
5. DO have an overnight kit packed at all times. I know packing can be a hassle, but if you keep all your mini beauty products in one place (moisturizer, makeup wipes, facial wash, toothpaste, and etc) you can just grab that kit and go.
6. DON’T overdo your contouring. I’m guilty of this myself. Many women get too excited when they contour their features. But keep in mind that you don’t want to look like you have dirt streaked over your face because you applied too much bronzer or didn’t blend your contour cream or powder well. If you are a beginner, then watch videos on how to contour. Makeup is to help your features to pop more.
7. DO use styling tools in moderation. Try not to blow-dry your hair or use curling/flat irons every day. The heat from these tool causes damage. Blow drying removes the surface moisture and water that is bound to the hair, which is called water of hydration. The effect of this flash drying is that the hair becomes dry, rigid, and brittle. To keep hair healthy and shiny I would recommend letting your hair air dry and/or do a deep hair mask every once in a while. Don’t towel dry the hair either, this can cause wet hair to break. Heat styling breaks down the hair hydrogen bonds, applying concentrated heat from curling or straightening iron.
8. DON’T be that girl. Keep the light, shadows, and colors as natural as possible. Blend in your makeup and have fun with it.
9. DO match your makeup with your outfit. If you’re wearing something printed and colorful, tone down the bright eyeshadows and crazy lipstick colors. But, if you are wearing something plain like neutral colors then go wild with it. Remember, it is all about balance!
10. DON’T expect to have “perfect” skin all the time. We all experience breakouts, so don’t be too hard on yourself. It is really a matter of using the right products for your skin type. When you get a zit, don’t panic! It will go away eventually. No one have “flawless” skin. Some of us have blemishes, moles, freckles, and birth marks. But, that is okay. We are blessed to try many different skincare products. Everything takes time, so don’t get discourage when something doesn’t work. Just keep taking care of your mind, body and soul.