Finding the right makeup to wear when you’re going for a natural look can be more complex than you think. You don’t want anything too cakey, too bright, or too dark. And we all know, that looking natural does indeed require SOME makeup application – and some skill, too. The best tip that I have for you is to wear colors close to your natural skin tone, and ones that just enhance and perfect your skin. For your best natural look, follow the tips and tricks below, followed by some of my favorite beauty products to use to get that natural looking glow.
1. Moisturize. Creating the perfect base for your makeup is very important. Moisturizing boosts hydration in your skin, prevents flaking and dullness, and creates a protective layer of moisture that lasts all day. Plus, proper application of a face cream will help anti-aging ingredients work better – increasing the odds that they’ll work.
- I use Shea Moisture Head-To-Toe Nourishing Hydration 100% Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Sometimes, I feel like I have a dry skin so I have been using POND’S Dry Skin Cream. It deeply hydrates for smooth, soft, radiant skin. *Don’t worry, it won’t clog pores. Pond’s Dry Skin Cream is hypoallergenic and is suitable for sensitive skin. It has been Dermatologist tested for the ones that are concerned.
- Since I have discovered a ULTA Beauty close by me, I have been going insane. A month ago, I purchased Luminizer Primer Base Lumiere by Dr. Brandt. You can either wear it under your makeup or by itself. If you want to control those pores of yours then Dr. Brandt is the way to go plus it adds a natural glow to your beautiful face.
- Also, I use Juice Beauty Hydrating Mist. Here is the bonus: It formulates with certified organic ingredients. Tones with this refreshing blend of rosehip, ylang ylang, resveratrol-rich grapeseed oil and antioxidant-rich organic botanical juices for a fresh, radiant complexion.
2. Conceal. Hide away any dark circles, fine lines or blemishes with a concealer. This will get rid of any imperfections and leave your skin looking flawless
Beauty Tip: My go-to concealer is NARS honestly. I have many concealers by different brands but I always end up using NARS.
But sometimes I end up using PUR Bare It All foundation by itself without a concealer because it is a high performance, 12-hour, demi-matte foundation that helps to cover imperfections and instantly perfect the skin while helping to correct the problem areas. Designed for face and body and formulated with PUR’s proprietary Energy Complex and Ceretin Complex, this formula renews the look of your skin and goes the distance.
3. Powder or light foundation. I recommend to use a powder or an airy liquid foundation. The illusion that we’re going for is natural makeup, so using a thick cakey makeup doesn’t fit the bill. Be sure to apply evenly with a brush or sponge for an even, non-streaky, look and your face will appear naturally perfect.
Beauty Tip: For powder, I either use BLACK RADIANCE, IMAN, or Bare Minerals Matte. But remember, if you are using a matte foundation then you don’t want to use a matte powder because you might end up looking cakey.
I also love, I mean I LOVE IMAN Second To None Cream Powder Foundation . It is not heavy on the face and surprisingly, it is full coverage. When wanting to look natural but still be flawless, IMAN Second To None Cream Powder Foundation is the IT FACTOR!
If you still have the desire to bake then lets go bake! I tried the Too Faced Born This Way Ethereal Setting Powder and loved it. Now I can’t get enough. I also use the Black Radiance Soft Focus Finishing Powder to bake and the IMAN Second To None Semi-Loose Powder .
* I don’t use all these powders at once, I use 1 or the other depending on what makeup look I’m going for or usually what my hand grabs first. These are the products that I have used or is still using.
4. Subtle blush. Creme blushes work well because you can rub them in as much as you like for a dramatic or subtle look. Depending on your skin color, blush colors will vary – but peaches tend to look great on everyone. Blend in to your natural cheekbone line where pink undertones normally show.
Beauty Tip: I don’t normally wear blush but when I do, I go for Too Faced Blush.
5. Neutral shadows. Sweep a neutral color over your lids for a muted but beautiful eye. Choose a color that is just a shade or two darker than your skin tone, anything too dark will create a more dramatic eye and won’t look natural.
6. Nude lip. When choosing a lip color, go for the light pinks, peaches and sand colors. You could also apply a little gloss for an even simpler lip.
7. Little mascara (if any). A thin layer of mascara is all you need for a natural look. You still want your eyes to stand out, so if you have light lashes, adding a layer of mascara may be a good idea. If you naturally have dark, full lashes you may skip out on the mascara.
My Favorite mascara is Benefit Roller Lash and my two favorite eyelash primers so far are L’OREAL Voluminous Primer or the Elf Cosmetic Primer. *Benefit they’re Real mascara is a good one as well and Maybelline has good mascarars as well, it is so hard to choose.
8. No liner. While eyeliner is great for a dramatic eye, it doesn’t fit with the natural makeup look. Don’t apply any eyeliner on the top or bottom. Not only will your face look naturally stunning but you’ll love how easy taking off your makeup is!