Warm lemon water works all kinds of miracles. I initially started drinking it to aid with weight loss, but have since found numerous benefits that I thought I would share with you all too. There’s really no reason not to be taking advantage of this morning health ritual and everyday detox drink.
Squeeze 1/2 lemon (organic if possible) into a cup of lukewarm filtered water, first thing in the morning. Avoid using boiling or ice cold water as it takes longer for your body to digest and uses more energy in the process.
BONUS: try adding freshly grated ginger or a little cayenne for a boost.
1. Aids digestion. It flushes out unwanted materials & toxins from the body. It also helps to relieve symptoms of indigestion, such as heartburn and bloating.
2. Boosts your immune system. Lemons are filled with vitamin C, which helps fight colds. They’re high in potassium which stimulates brain and nerve function.
3. Detoxes your system. It acts as a natural diuretic, releasing toxins at a faster rate as the citric acid maximises enzyme function which stimulates the liver.
4. Balances pH levels. Due to the alkalising properties of lemons, they help remove uric acid in your joints, which is one of the main causes of inflammation.
5. Clears skin. The antioxidants and vitamin C in lemons help decrease wrinkles and blemishes. The alkaline nature also kills some types of bacteria known to cause acne.
6. Aid in weight loss. Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings.
7. Energizes & enhances your mood. Lemons contain negative charged ions which provides your body with energy when it enters the digestive tract. The smell and scent of lemon can brighten your mood and help clear your mind. Lemon can also help reduce anxiety and depression.
8. Promotes Healing. Ascorbic acid found in abundance in lemons, promotes wound healing, and is an essential nutrient in the maintenance of healthy bones, connective tissue, and cartilage.
9. Freshens breath. It’s also been known to help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis. However, be aware that citric acid can erode tooth enamel. It is best to brush your teeth first.
10. Hydrates Your Lymph System. Warm water and lemon juice supports the immune system by hydrating and replacing fluids lost by your body. When your body is deprived of water, you can definitely feel the side effects, which include: feeling tired, sluggish, decreased immune function, constipation, lack of energy, low/high blood pressure, lack of sleep, lack of mental clarity and feeling stressed, just to name a few.