I’m OBSESSED with having plump lips – the fuller the better is the general consensus! I literally can’t even scroll down my Insta feed without seeing a full, juicy pout staring me in the face. I know I dont’t need it, God blessed me in that department already but I love when my pout is fuller. So, here’re nine DIY concoctions, techniques, and (safe) tools you can use to enhance your lips for a more voluptuous look – they actually WORK!
1. Toothpaste: Probably the quickest DIY ever, and it’s so simple: cover your lips with a thick layer of toothpaste and leave it on for just 10 seconds! Wipe it away, et voila, a smooth, plump pout.
2. Cinnamon: Cinnamon’s been used in beauty for thousands of years, and because it stimulates blood flow so effectively, it’s one of the main ingredients in a ton of lip plumpers. For a lip plumper on the go, add a couple of drops of cinnamon oil to your FAV lip gloss. For a more intense effect, mix cinnamon powder with a moisturizer like Vaseline, olive oil, honey, or any balm, and apply this to your lips for a minute or so before removing with a damp towel. You’ll notice an intense tingling; this just means it’s working!
3. Overlining and Contouring: This is still my favorite hack to date, and I think it’s probably the most effective for faking fuller lips in just minutes. The technique involves contouring and drawing slightly outside your natural lip line. It also makes your lipstick last ALLL day!
4. Wasabi: Believe it or not, Wasabi isn’t just delicious with your sushi; it will plump up your lips in less than a minute too. It might feel a little uncomfortable, but it’s got to feel better than an injection!
5. Peppermint Oil: Like cinnamon, peppermint also causes a rush of blood to your lips. Mix peppermint oil with a little honey, apply to your lips and remove after one minute. Alternatively, add a few drops of peppermint oil to your lip balm or gloss and plump as you go.
6. Too Faced Lip Injection: This product really works, and I’ve been a fan of it for years! They’ve also released an extreme formula and colored gloss versions.
7. Cayenne Pepper: This can get pretty hot and spicy, so if you can’t handle the heat, you might be better sticking with cinnamon. Just mix a pinch of cayenne pepper with a teaspoon of olive oil (I’ve been tempted to use a few drops of sriracha in the past – I LOVE it!) and apply a thick layer of the mixture to your lips. Leave on for 1-2 minutes (or as long as you can last), before wiping it away with a damp towel.
8. Lip Plumping Suction Tools: Okay, these are definitely something you need to be careful with (from experience they can hurt a little), as you can bruise your lips if you use them too intensely. However, if ‘suffer to be beautiful’ is your motto then this is definitely an effective cosmetic alternative.
9. The Ultimate Plumping Mix: If you’re feeling daring, then a potent combination of some of the above ingredients gives you crazy good results! In a small container, combine ½ tsp of cayenne pepper, ½ tsp of cinnamon, a pinch of ginger powder, a drop of peppermint oil, and combine with 2 tsp of oil, like coconut oil or olive oil. Once the ingredients are well mixed, gently massage the mix into your lips for ten seconds and leave on for up to 2 minutes – if you can!
And finally (and most importantly!), just because bigger lips might be everywhere on Instagram, it doesn’t mean they’re the perfect look for every person! Everyone’s face is different, and we all suit different lip shapes and sizes, so I suggest you steer clear of the shot glass hack, or excessively using lip plumping devices. Not only can these cause short-term bruising, major swelling, and a lot of pain, but if done repeatedly they can destroy your lips’ natural collagen levels and weaken the skin tissue, causing a deflated look. So always be careful using unconventional methods. AND, that’s why I love lip contouring, it lasts all day and wipes away at night!
Which beauty hack is your favorite? Let me know if you have any other hacks in the comments below.