The search for perfect-looking skin has our constant attention — we invest in fancy foundations, skin-smoothing primers and magical blending sponges. But little did we know that creating a flawless makeup base has less to do with these methods and a whole lot more to do with what we mix our foundation with. Ahead, we broke down exactly how to achieve the look by mixing highlighter with our favorite foundation formula, and we can guarantee that the results are better than any other method out there.
STEP 1: Pick the Right Liquid-Based Highlighter
Picking the right illuminating product is key to making this makeup mix a success. First and foremost, choose a highlighter that has more of a sheer finish, as opposed to a glittery, shimmery one. You’ll need a lightweight formula like the Dermablend Glow Creator Highlighting Drops that will blend seamlessly with your foundation to leave a natural, subtle glow.
STEP 2: Mix It Up
Mix equal parts foundation (our current favorite is the YSL All Hours Longwear Foundation) and highlighter on the back of your hand. The total combination should equal a dime-sized amount. If needed, add more to make sure you have the right amount of coverage. Just be careful that you don’t end up with thick, cakey makeup.
STEP 3: Blend, Blend, Blend
Dot the mixture on your forehead, cheeks, nose and chin and smooth it all over the face (we recommend working from the center and blending outward) with a blending sponge or foundation brush, until your makeup is evenly distributed around your face and neck. Make sure to blend well, so that there are no streaks or splotching. Your makeup should look like second skin. For a next-level glow, feel free to add more strategically placed highlighter on the high points of your face when you’re finished with the rest of your makeup.
- THE ICE FACIAL TOOL That Kourt and Kendall Love
- We Tried Jennifer Aniston’s Self-Care Routine—Here’s What Happened
- We Tried Blake Lively’s 8 Healthy Habits to Live By—Here’s What Happened
- How Working From Home Affected Our Relationship With Beauty
- Dewy Setting Sprays That Will Make Skin Glow All Over
- Lori Harvey Sparks Controversy with her Latest Beauty Secret Reveal.
- This Viral Fall Trend Would Make Blair Waldorf Proud
- 7 Illuminating Moisturizers That Will Make Your Skin Glow