My new Bolden SPF 30 Brightening Moisturizer has got me singing Beyonce’s, “Brown skin girl, your skin just like pearl ♪♪♪”. I can’t help it darlings! Nothing excites me more than a brand founded by black women with products designed specifically for brown girls like me in mind.
We all know that when it comes to sunscreen, the first question we brown girls gotta ask is, “Is it going to leave a horrible white residue on my skin?” Sadly, it’s no wonder the majority of black women don’t wear sunscreen daily.
The truth is the sun is the number one aging factor for your skin regardless of your skin tone. Yes, sorry ladies but black does crack if you don’t take care of your skin. Not to mention the unnecessary risk of skin cancer. That’s why the final step in my morning skincare routine is always sunscreen (even on cloudy days!). I literally never leave home without applying sunscreen to my face, neck, chest and shoulders.
So naturally when I discovered Bolden, I was happy to put it to the test! Here’s what I found…
5 Things I Love About Bolden SPF 30 Brightening Moisturizer
- No Ashy White Residue: Yes, it’s true! Bolden’s lovely, lightweight formula layers perfectly under my foundation without that horrible greasy, white cast you find in other sunscreens. Finally, a brand that’s getting it right for us brown skin girls!
- Added Vitamin C: I love that this SPF moisturizer is infused with vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that repairs damaged skin cells and reduces skin discoloration. The results are beautiful, brighter skin! The all-in-one product has antioxidants, hydrating ingredients, AND suncare, so it not only protects; it also improves the look and feel of your skin. Plus, it was formulated specifically for people of color — this means it was created without some of the ingredients we’re used to seeing in “traditional” sunscreen that leave the ghostly residue. Instead, the Brightening Moisturizer trades zinc oxide or titanium dioxide for octinoxate and avobenzone. Dr. Joyce Park, dermatology resident in NYC and health/beauty blogger at Tea With MD, tells BeautyLeeBar, “Octinoxate and avobenzone are both considered chemical blockers, which work by absorbing UV radiation and turning it into heat energy. This is in contrast to physical blockers such as zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, which act as a shield on top of the skin deflecting UV rays.”
- Paraben and Sulfate Free: I’m so delighted that Bolden’s SPF 30 Moisturizer is free from parabens and sulfates. This is extra important for you ladies with sensitive skin as sulfates can strip your skin of natural oils and cause skin irritation.
- No Breakouts: Before I even consider sharing a product with all of you darlings, I always test it for several weeks to make sure my skin doesn’t get irritated or broken out. I can happily report no breakouts or irritated skin for me.
- Hydrating: The natural ingredients, squalane and safflower oil in this moisturizer leave my skin glowing! Squalane is a natural oil that balances your skin’s oil production while safflower oil moisturizes and repairs your skin’s barrier. Both of these ingredients have anti-inflammatory properties that are great for treating skin conditions like acne and eczema. So while your protecting your skin from UV rays, you’re also rejuvenating your skin.
I don’t know about you, but I’m so inspired by brands like Bolden who are designing products tailored towards the needs of women of color.
If you ask me, it’s about time! What’s your favorite SPF product? Tell us @BeautyLeeBar!
SPF 30 BRIGHTENING MOISTURIZER
Our SPF 30 Brightening Moisturizer combines advanced ingredients with broad spectrum sunscreen to visibly improve the look and feel of skin. Nourishing moisturizers and robust antioxidants help restore hydration and radiance while SPF 30 sunscreen guards against UV damage.