French women swear by micellar water, and they’ve got the complexions to prove it. Micellar water was formulated with the notion that tap water is too harsh for the face, stripping it of natural and necessary oils which, in turn, can speed up the aging process. But micellar cleansing water can clean the face without actual water; in other words, no rinsing required, therefore aiding in keeping that complexion fresh and youthful. The formulas are so gentle and effective, they’re safe for all skin types, even sensitive and acne-prone. And, like all staple, must-have beauty products worth their price, this item is a true multitasker and time-saver.
Due to micellar water’s popularity, there are countless options on the market, which makes it hard to discern which formulas make for the most worthwhile investment. So, we did some digging and identified 7 French-made micellar water formulas that all get top ratings from beauty editors and nit-picky consumers, alike. Keep scrolling for all the best French micellar water elixirs the beauty industry has to offer.
Here are five ways to use micellar water on the daily:
- Use it as a face wash. No water or rinsing required. That’s right, when you’re too tired to remove your makeup at day’s end, just douse micellar water onto a reusable cotton pad and swipe away makeup and dirt, and it’s just as effective as washing with a cleanser and water. Keep a bottle by the bed and never fall asleep with makeup on again.
- Use it as a makeup remover. The gentle formulations of micellar water make it an optimal choice for removing makeup, especially eye makeup, where tugging at the sensitive eye area can actually cause fine lines and wrinkles. With micellar water, a few swipes and makeup is gone, even waterproof mascara—no tugging or pulling necessary.
- Use it as a toner. If you’re a fan of the double-cleanse, or if your skin is on the oilier side, cleansing with a cream or gel-based cleanser then following up with micellar water on a cotton pad is, literally, the deepest—yet most gentle—cleanse you can give your complexion.
- Use it to freshen up on the go. Post-gym workout or office-to-drinks can require a quick face freshening. Micellar water is the perfect choice, considering you don’t need actual water (or a sink or bathroom) to get your complexion clean. Just carry a travel-size version of micellar water in your bag, apply at your desk or in the car, and your complexion is as good as new.
- Use it to clean makeup brushes. Did you know your makeup brushes should be sanitized at least once a week? Think about all of the bacteria buildup on those bristles … it’s like a prime playground for germs. Micellar water is an easy and effective way to wipe off your brushes after each use, making them dirt- and bacteria-free.
Shop our top picks for micellar waters below.
For those dealing with dry skin, this is one of the best micellar waters to turn to. French brand Bioderma crafted this micellar water with dry skin in mind. The non-comedogenic formula includes the brand’s signature Aquagenium patent, which contains a blend of niacinamide and apple seed extract. This blend helps the skin retain moisture and stimulate the circulation of water in the skin cells.
Like pretty much all micellar waters, this soap-free formula doesn’t require water and is safe for sensitive skin, that being said, it’s especially amazing for aging skin thanks to how nourishing and hydrating the ingredient list is; organic chamomile, peptides, Viniferine, and shea butter work together to soothe, lift, nourish, and improve overall brightness or dark spots.
Aloe Vera, Green Tea and Cucumber
This micellar water can remove dirt and even waterproof makeup. It effectively clears residue from your skin without stripping the natural oils. It contains aloe vera, green tea, and cucumber that keep the skin hydrated, refreshed, and healthy. It has a gentle yet powerful formula, so you do not need to rub vigorously to remove makeup. It minimizes skin damage and irritation resulting from constant rubbing and rinsing.
This is one of the most popular and best micellar waters for acne-prone skin available for purchase. It comes from Bioderma, a French pharmaceutical company. The formula is free of fragrance and alcohol. It also contains glycerides, which help hydrate the skin. This Bioderma micellar water is gentle yet effective at cleansing the skin, making it an excellent micellar water for those with acne-prone and irritated skin.
More top picks for micellar waters below:
Skin Cleansing Water
Simple has created one of the best micellar waters for oily skin. It effectively cleanses the skin, while not damaging the protective barrier. Beyond its impressive cleansing abilities, this formula is able to boost the skin’s hydration immediately by 90%. It contains triple purified water, hydrating glycerin, and soothing chamomile flower extract. The formula is also free of artificial colors, perfumes, or harsh chemicals, eliminating the risk of irritation.
Hydra Life Micellar Water No Rinse Cleanser
The effective formula of this Dior product removes all your makeup instantly and tones your skin. This micellar water contains soothing Echinacea flower extract. It increases the elasticity and maintains the natural balance of your skin. It also brightens your skin tone.
LAIT MICELLAIRE DÉMAQUILLANT
If you’ve never heard of Payot Paris, you’re in for a treat. The beloved French brand makes some of the dreamiest complexion remedies, and this milky micellar elixir is at the top of our list. While the brand also makes a non-milky, water-like version, we’re obsessed with how velvety-smooth this micellar milk leaves our skin. That said, both formulas share the same lush skin actives like hyaluronic acid, raspberry extracts, and micelles.
2 thoughts on “5 Ways to Use MICELLAR WATER on the Daily”