Knotless braids are the rave in today’s hair fashion even though knotless braids have been around since the 2000s.Celebrities like Beyonce, Zendaya, Jhene Aiko, Kelly Rowland, and Keke Palmer, to mention a few, have all rocked this particular hairstyle in all its glory. Traditional box braids are beautiful, but they also demand high maintenance. With knotless braids, there is no such thing: they’re easy to style as well as maintain.
Knotless braids are your typical box braids but without the traditional knot that is started at the base or root of the hair. Unlike traditional braids, which typically add extensions at the root, knotless braids begin with your natural hair and then extensions are fed in further down the braid.
Because knotless braids do not begin with a knot, there’s very little tension on the scalp, thereby lessening the soreness that braids usually have, thereby allowing you to leave the salon headache-free. It’ll prevent tension bumps that occur when the hair follicle is inflamed, which causes a red sore to arise! Another major benefit of knotless braids is that you can style your hair and sleep comfortably straight after the appointment, without any pain!
What Are the Benefits of Knotless Braids?
- They Serve as Protective Styles: If you want to take a break from styling your hair while still protecting it, knotless braids are the right choice.
- They Are Painless: As I have mentioned before, traditional box braids require a tight hold on the hair roots which causes pain. Knotless braids do not require a tight grip and, as such, are painless.
- A Natural Look: Because of how they’re installed, knotless braids give a seamless natural look.
- They Are Low Maintenance Styles: Knotless braids only require that you oil your scalp/hair roots at least every three days to prevent dryness.
- They Last Long: You can keep them in your hair for as long as you want. However, I advise that you only keep them in, for 4 – 8 weeks.
- They’re Easy to Take Out: All you need to do is snip out with scissors where your hair stops on the extension and then begin to loosen the braids.
- No Tangles/Knots in Your Hair Afterward: Since knotless braids do not start at the base of your hair, they don’t leave it all tangled up at the roots. So, you don’t lose much hair when you’re taking them out. Hey, there’s a reason they’re called “knotless”. In all, knotless braids don’t damage the hair.
- allow me to retain all my new growth and protect the older parts of my hair.
- enables me to moisturize my hair and scalp without issue, and cleanse and care for my scalp.
Possibly the only downside of having knotless braids is they don’t necessarily last as long as other braids tend to – four to six weeks. Hair Stylist explains that the longer you leave them in, the more hair damage can occur if they’re not taken care of properly, or if the braids are heavier. It is always a great idea with any hairstyle to give your natural hair a break. If you are someone who braids your hair back-to-back, this can eventually take a toll on your strands and cause breakage or damage
It’s important to take care of them with oils and nightly wrapping.
Another thing to keep in mind is knotless braids take longer to install than other braiding techniques as you’re consistently stopping to add extra hair.
The best way to keep your knotless braids healthy is by wrapping them up every night before bed and oiling the scalp to maintain moisture. Here are our favorites: Camille Rose MINT CONDITION BRAID AND SCALP SPRAY $12, Mielle Rosemary and Mint Scalp & Hair Strengthening Oil $10, Tea Tree Oil $3, Jamaican black castor oil $7, Shea Moisture Moringa & Avocado Power Greens Hair Rinse $13 …. just to name a few!
Don’t Want to Braid Your Hair? Do This Instead
You may love braids but don’t want to add extensions to your hair because of certain reasons best known to you. However, you can still rock braids on your head as though you braided them into your hair. How? Get a braided wig! Braided wigs are easy to wear, and the fun part is you can take them off and put them back on whenever you want! The best part? No one will even notice!
Do you like knotless braids? Ready to join the knotless box braid gang? Let us know in the comments below.