Basic ingredients that should never be missing in your kitchen
In the pantry
- Olive oil: it is an essential base for cooking and frying.
- Vinegar: Both white and apple cider vinegar are versatile for seasoning and marinating.
- Salt and pepper: These are the basic condiments that are used in almost every recipe.
- Garlic and onion: Whether in the form of fresh garlic or powder, and fresh onions or onion powder, these ingredients add flavor to almost any dish.
- Dried herbs and spices: Some options are: oregano, basil, thyme, cumin, paprika and curry powder.
- Broth or bouillon cubes: they are useful for making soups, sauces and stews.
- Pasta: Spaghetti, fettuccine, macaroni, and rice are basic choices for a variety of dishes.
- Canned tomato: Crushed tomato, tomato paste and canned whole tomatoes are useful for sauces, soups and stews.
- Canned legumes: Chickpeas and lentils are inexpensive and healthy sources of protein.
- Rice: white rice and brown rice are basic to accompany dishes or as a base of others.
- Sugar and flour: basics for desserts and for making sauces and dressings.
- Soy sauce: adds umami and depth of flavor to many dishes.
- Balsamic vinegar: ideal for dressing salads (apart from it is super healthy).
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts and peanuts are great to snack on and use in salads or main dishes.
In the fridge
- Eggs: They are a versatile source of protein.
- Butter: useful for cooking and baking.
- Milk: it can be whole, skimmed or vegetable according to your preferences.
- Cheese: Whether cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan, or others, cheese is a versatile addition to many recipes.
- Yogurt: You can use it for sauces, dressings and desserts.
- Fresh vegetables: Onions, carrots and peppers are basic ingredients for many recipes.
- Fresh fruits: Apples, bananas, strawberries, grapes, and avocado are versatile options that can be eaten on their own or added to salads and desserts.
- Green leafy vegetables: such as lettuce, spinach or kale for salads.
- Tofu or tempeh: protein-rich meat alternatives for vegetarian or vegan options.
- Meat or protein alternatives: chicken, ground beef, fish or alternatives such as veggie burgers.
- Tomato sauce: for pizzas, pasta and other dishes.
- Mustard and ketchup: they are the perfect complement to many dishes.
- Lemons: to give a touch of freshness to your dishes.