One of our favorite quotes is, “Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight.” We don’t remember when we first read it, but over the past few years, it has taken on significant importance in our life. Like some of us who are incredibly introverted, we’ve always valued quality over quantity. We tend to swiftly and infinitely remove people who no longer bring “sunlight.” It happens as you grow older as things in your life start growing for the better. Resources become limited and we physically don’t have the capacity for anything less than sunlight. One of the things We’ve found most valuable from this mindset shift, is we become better people along the way.
Also, we don’t know about you, but this past year has had a profound effect on our friendships. We feel like we’ve heard a lot of people say the same thing. Being unable to socialize freely and required to put more effort into our connections tested a lot of relationships. Some faded into the background while others burned brighter.
It’s truly remarkable how we can adapt and grow when we’re soaking up sunshine rather than spending too much time in the shade.
Have you found your sunlight people? They are far and few between, but we promise they’re out there.
How to know if you’ve found your sunlight people:
- They nurture and respect your vulnerability.
- Your deepest and most treasured core values are aligned.
- They are supportive of you in your good times.
- They are supportive of you in your bad times.
- Your time with them feels intentional and leaves your cup full.
- They are consistent and steadfast, yet adaptable to life’s ebbs and flows.
- You don’t worry about the state of your house when they drop by for a visit. They love you and will never judge the tornado your mindset has created.
- You want to share your biggest triumphs and your lowest lows with them. And most importantly, you feel safe sharing these with them.
- They always respect your time and your personal growth. Healthy boundaries are important on both sides.
- They have gratitude. They truly appreciate everything they have in life, which makes them happier and more satisfied.
- They choose every opportunity to experience joy.
You’ll know your sunshine people when you find them. The warmth is undeniable. Fill your cup with their light, and you’ll fill theirs right back.