Eyebrows have been a hot topic of conversation for a while now. Similar to fashion, it seems as if brow trends come and go with the seasons. When I was in high school thin, over-tweezed brows were everywhere. But now, it’s time to give the tweezers a rest! Full brows are dominating the beauty scene. And while bold is on trend, not every woman has been blessed in this department. Rather than force an unnatural shape, this post is all about learning how to enhance your natural eyebrows with minimal tools (and less plucking!). Let’s get to it…
Locating The Start And Endpoints
Begin by lining up your tweezers along the side of your nose. By doing this you should be able to see that the front of your brows should align with the upper bridge of your nose. After you do this, very minimal tweezing between your brows should be done to prevent your eyebrows from looking too far apart. My advice is to just get rid of stray hairs and nothing more.
To locate the end of your brows, align your tweezers with the outer corner of your eyes. Where your tweezers meet your brow bone is ideally where your eyebrows should end. Remember that everyone’s brows are different! Not all brows will extend to the outer corner of the eye and some will reach past this point. Similar to grooming the start of your brows, you don’t want to over-tweeze the end of your brows either. You just want to clean up stray hairs here and there.
Defining The Arch
The easiest way to define your arch is by using a white eyeliner pencil. Using a white eyeliner pencil will help you locate stray hairs that fall outside of your defined eyebrow shape. Draw a line tracing the bottom of your eyebrow. You should be following the natural arch of your eyebrow for this step, not creating a new one. Once you’ve drawn the line, tweeze whatever stray hairs fall below it.
My last bit of advice for defining your brows is to trim them. To do this, use an eyebrow spooly and comb those brows upwards. Take eyebrow scissors and trim any hairs that are longer than your actual brow shape. This step helps maintain your shape more than just using products alone.
Brow Sculpting 101
Now that you’ve enhanced the natural shape of your brows, it’s time to help them out a bit. If you’re more of a natural girl when it comes to makeup, brow gels are going to be your best friend. Clear gels will help keep your brows sculpted all day long without having to fill them in. If you have sparse brows I recommend trying your hand at brow pencils, powders or colored gels.
While drama isn’t necessarily a bad thing, remember to keep it natural when filling in your brows. Start by filling in the arches, using strokes that mimic the direction of your natural hair growth. Then, follow your arches to fill in the end of your eyebrows. Use longer strokes here but don’t go too far past the ends.
Lastly, use smaller strokes to fill in the starting points of your eyebrows. This area is where you should be filling in your brows the least. Like I mentioned earlier, use strokes that mimic your actual hairs as to avoid any over-filling. As a finishing touch, use a spooly to blend the product into your brows for the most natural effect.
Like anything else in life, practice makes perfect. If you’re still unsure about grooming your brows, here’s how to decide whether to wax, thread or tweeze. I hope this helps any brow debacles that you might be having!
What tips and tricks do you have when it comes to brows?
I’d love to hear your suggestions in the comments.
Finding the right makeup to wear when you’re going for a natural look can be more complex than you think. You don’t want anything too cakey, too bright, or too dark. And we all know, that looking natural does indeed require SOME makeup application – and some skill, too. The best tip that I have for you is to wear colors close to your natural skin tone, and ones that just enhance and perfect your skin. For your best natural look, follow the tips and tricks below, followed by some of my favorite beauty products to use to get that natural looking glow.
1. Moisturize. Creating the perfect base for your makeup is very important. Moisturizing boosts hydration in your skin, prevents flaking and dullness, and creates a protective layer of moisture that lasts all day. Plus, proper application of a face cream will help anti-aging ingredients work better – increasing the odds that they’ll work.
Sometimes, I feel like I have a dry skin so I have been using POND’S Dry Skin Cream. It deeply hydrates for smooth, soft, radiant skin. *Don’t worry, it won’t clog pores. Pond’s Dry Skin Cream is hypoallergenic and is suitable for sensitive skin. It has been Dermatologist tested for the ones that are concerned.
Since I have discovered a ULTA Beauty close by me, I have been going insane. A month ago, I purchased Luminizer Primer Base Lumiere by Dr. Brandt. You can either wear it under your makeup or by itself. If you want to control those pores of yours then Dr. Brandt is the way to go plus it adds a natural glow to your beautiful face.
Also,I use Juice Beauty Hydrating Mist. Here is the bonus: It formulates with certified organic ingredients. Tones with this refreshing blend of rosehip, ylang ylang, resveratrol-rich grapeseed oil and antioxidant-rich organic botanical juices for a fresh, radiant complexion.
2. Conceal. Hide away any dark circles, fine lines or blemishes with a concealer. This will get rid of any imperfections and leave your skin looking flawless
Beauty Tip: My go-to concealer is NARS honestly. I have many concealers by different brands but I always end up using NARS.
But sometimes I end up using PUR Bare It All foundation by itself without a concealer because it is a high performance, 12-hour, demi-matte foundation that helps to cover imperfections and instantly perfect the skin while helping to correct the problem areas. Designed for face and body and formulated with PUR’s proprietary Energy Complex and Ceretin Complex, this formula renews the look of your skin and goes the distance.
3. Powder or light foundation. I recommend to use a powder or an airy liquid foundation. The illusion that we’re going for is natural makeup, so using a thick cakey makeup doesn’t fit the bill. Be sure to apply evenly with a brush or sponge for an even, non-streaky, look and your face will appear naturally perfect.
Beauty Tip: For powder, I either use BLACK RADIANCE, IMAN, or Bare Minerals Matte. But remember, if you are using a matte foundation then you don’t want to use a matte powder because you might end up looking cakey.
I also love, I mean I LOVE IMAN Second To None Cream Powder Foundation . It is not heavy on the face and surprisingly, it is full coverage. When wanting to look natural but still be flawless, IMAN Second To None Cream Powder Foundation is the IT FACTOR!
* I don’t use all these powders at once, I use 1 or the other depending on what makeup look I’m going for or usually what my hand grabs first. These are the products that I have used or is still using.
4. Subtle blush. Creme blushes work well because you can rub them in as much as you like for a dramatic or subtle look. Depending on your skin color, blush colors will vary – but peaches tend to look great on everyone. Blend in to your natural cheekbone line where pink undertones normally show.
Beauty Tip: I don’t normally wear blush but when I do, I go for Too Faced Blush.
5. Neutral shadows. Sweep a neutral color over your lids for a muted but beautiful eye. Choose a color that is just a shade or two darker than your skin tone, anything too dark will create a more dramatic eye and won’t look natural.
7. Little mascara (if any). A thin layer of mascara is all you need for a natural look. You still want your eyes to stand out, so if you have light lashes, adding a layer of mascara may be a good idea. If you naturally have dark, full lashes you may skip out on the mascara.
8. No liner. While eyeliner is great for a dramatic eye, it doesn’t fit with the natural makeup look. Don’t apply any eyeliner on the top or bottom. Not only will your face look naturally stunning but you’ll love how easy taking off your makeup is!
Many of us can’t even imagine our life without makeup. Today’s topic might sound strange and even scary for many girls, thanks to media popularization of unrealistic beauty standards. To be beautiful without makeup?! Is it even possible?!
It became our daily ritual to wake up early and put on our “beautiful” makeup mask.
For many of us it would be a big nonsense even to go to a supermarket with no makeup on. Media often forces us to believe that a woman with no makeup on can’t actually look somewhat attractive or beautiful.
In this article, I don’t suggest that you completely let go and forget about taking care of yourself; on the contrary, if you want to live a makeup-free life, or at least be able to have makeup-free days, then it makes sense to put a little bit more effort into caring about the natural beauty of your face, hair and body.
1) Feel beautiful (even without makeup) Yes, first step to natural, makeup-free beauty is connected with your inner perception of yourself – your self-image. How do you feel about yourself inside? It all depends on you. Try to feel beautiful. Yes. Right now, in this very moment… Know that you are pretty!
If a girl considers herself beautiful and is able to accept herself totally and unconditionally, then the whole world will feel the same about her. Yes, it’s that simple!
But if you don’t feel comfortable and confident about yourself with no makeup on, try to adapt the new ‘natural’ image gradually. For example, while on vacation, give your face a “vacation” as well, by using a minimal amount of cosmetics; use only mascara and a touch of lip gloss.
2) Your skin is your everything! If you decide to live a makeup-free life, it doesn’t mean that you need to completely let go of all skin care products. Nobody abolished daily cleansing and moisturizer; these are necessary ingredients to the beauty and health of our skin.
If you used to deal with pimples by covering them up with tones of makeup – now, your main concern is the health and beauty of your skin.
Many skin problems are actually related to the excessive use of makeup; skin tone becomes uneven because of the reaction of your body on a foundation, concealer or blush. If you stop using foundation (at least for a while), after some time, you’ll notice that your skin tone will improve and there will be no need of that thick makeup mask any more. If skin problems persist, get a professional advice from a dermatologist; it’s better to treat the problem straight away, than to put it on hold into a waiting box.
Some other tips for the beauty of your skin include: use facial masks 2 or 3 times a week (choose masks according to your skin type), and exfoliate your skin regularly (we are not only talking about exfoliating your facial skin, but also exfoliate your whole body.) Here is one of my favorite skin care tips: splash your face with cold water in the morning and in the evening for about 10 seconds. This helps to tone your skin naturally and will also help close pores.
3) Your beautiful natural eyebrows
Usually, when we apply makeup, we often try to change the proportions of our face and adapt it to world’s beauty standards, so that sometimes, we even forget how pretty and unique we look naturally.
If you want to minimize your daily makeup routine, then try to emphasize your natural features. Let’s start with your beautiful eyebrows. Look in the mirror and notice natural shape of your eyebrows, if you over-plucked them, then try to grow them back (apply natural oils on your eyebrows every evening; use castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil or burdock root oil) and then, shape your brows once and for all with the help of a professional, or with the help of YouTube. 🙂 If your eyebrows are too light and you usually draw them with a pencil, try a semi-permanent brow coloration in a salon instead. This will look more natural, so that your makeup-free face with well defined and beautiful eyebrows will instantly look more attractive. Here is another tip on how to make your natural eyebrows grow: apply Jamaican Black Castor Oil (will help your eyelash and eyebrows to grow thicker and longer, and keep from breaking. It also helps promote new growth in bare areas caused by over-tweezing.) or Almond Oil on the brows every evening before going to sleep; do it for one or two months and see wonderful results! ( However, the growth period might vary based on the health and age of each individual.) Messaging your eyebrows with warm olive oil for 5 minutes before bed can also help. Just make sure you rinse it off with warm water the next morning. Try to avoid any temptation to pluck and exfoliate the eyebrow area daily to help stimulate hair growth.
4) Be transparent When we are talking about beauty without makeup, it doesn’t mean that we should completely ignore all the beauty industry and forget about all cosmetic products. There are some great products on the market that can help you emphasize your natural beauty, such as eyebrow gels and transparent mascaras for your eyelashes, chap sticks, lip balms and lip glosses with no or a little bit of color; these nourish your lips and make you look fresh, natural and beautiful. Here is another beauty tip: I useThe Queen Pegasus to help grow my eyelashes full and thicker. I also brush my eyelashes every day and every night to prevent clumps. Did you know that Vaseline helps grow eyelashes longer, thicker, and stronger It also claims that moisturizing around the eyelid will help the skin stay smooth and supple. The best way to get results from this is to use a cleaned mascara wand to apply the Vaseline to your eyelashes before bed.
5) Healthy eating and water
Good food is important not only for the beauty of our skin, but also for the overall health of our body. We are what we eat, therefore healthy and balanced diet should be our faithful, lifelong friend.
Make sure you eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day, as well as healthy fats and proteins; these are so important for our beauty. And, of course, our best friend is water! Try to drink about 8 glasses of water a day and also treat yourself with a green or white tea from time to time, because these are rich in antioxidants and will help your skin look fresh and young for a very long time, even without makeup.
Shhh… Come here I’m not the healthiest eater but when I make rice, I put vegetables into the rice and it will be mixed in so there is no way around it. Also, I love to fill up my Brita Pitcher with water then add slices of lemon to it. Lemon promotes hydration, it’s a good source of vitamin c, it improves your skin quality, it supports weight loss, it aids digestion, it freshens breath and it helps prevent kidney stones. I sometimes like to suck on limes. The health benefits of lime include weight loss, improved digestion, reduced respiratory and urinary disorders, relief from constipation, and treatment of scurvy, piles, peptic ulcer, gout, and gums. It also aids in skin care and eye care.
6) Kissable Lips Here is a very simple tip on how to make your lips kissable and soft: gently massage your lips every evening (or every other evening) with your toothbrush for a couple of minutes (or use a ‘sugar+honey’ scrub instead); then rinse and apply Shea butter/pure coconut oil(your natural moisturizer) on your lips. Now, feel how tender, soft and kissable your lips feel; your prince charming won’t be able to stop kissing you!
7) Smile and love yourself Smile will instantly help you to feel and look pretty, even if you don’t have any makeup on!
As Audrey Hepburn once said: “Happy girls are the prettiest!” Smile every time you look in the mirror, smile to people you see on the street and, in general, let smile be your favorite accessory – you will see how the whole world will start smiling back at you!
Love yourself. Accept yourself fully and completely. Love the way you look with or without makeup, because you are truly unique and beautiful! Remember it!
8) What about your hair?
If you want to look pretty with no makeup on – it’s important to take good care of your hair and keep your hair color close to natural.
If you use certain “extreme” hair colors, such as blue, pink or green, it can emphasise all little “imperfections” on your face and draw attention to them.
Try to keep your hair in great condition by using right hair care products that are suitable for your hair type, and do hair masks and oil treatments regularly. Nothing can be more beautiful than silky and shiny locks!